Bathurst - Priest’s Cottage
Priest’s Cottage was built circa 1836 to house Bathurst’s first Anglican priest, James Barrow. Barrow may well have built or assisted in the building of it himself. He later moved to the Rectory in Bird Street, now a private residence.
The original cottage consisted of just a single room with a three quarter height wall to screen the sleeping area from the living area. The lean to addition which originally housed a kitchen & now a bathroom was added probably in the 1860’s as was the corrugated iron roof. The cottage then as now had an earthen floor. The existing roof is the original corrugated iron which came out to South Africa as ballast in ships from England.
Priest’s Cottage continued as a private residence in very much its original form until the early 1950’s. Once vacant, it gradually fell into disrepair until by 1993 it was just a ruin with only the gable end wall standing & the roof collapsed inwards. In 1993 Joan Andrag, the then owner, undertook the restoration of the cottage utilising as much of the original building materials and building methods as was possible. Thus Priest’s Cottage came to be preserved as an example of the settlers’ first homes.
Priest’s Cottage is now available as a self catering cottage sleeping two in a double sofa bed. Camp cot available on request. Rates for the cottage are R300 for the first night and R200 for the second & subsequent nights. Priest’s Cottage is fully fenced and is pet friendly. All we ask that you clean up after your pets & place waste in the refuse bin.
PET POLICY: All dog breeds, cats and caged birds welcome all year round. Pets sleep inside or in outside shelter - bring own pet beds, bedding & bowls. Dogs are not permitted on the furniture and must be free of fleas and ticks on arrival.. Consideration must be given to resident dogs. Pets stay FREE. Doggie Damages Deposit required: NONE.